Thursday, July 12, 2012

The beginning...

January 22, 2012: I was sitting in my dorm room at Union College, holding an Elmer's glue stick and pair of craft scissors.  With a map of the world in front of me, I began the process of making my Minerva Fellowship application.  I had decided to put the entire application on to the map, marking off places that I had traveled to previously and describing how each place had changed me as a person.  After cutting, pasting and measuring, I finalized the initial part of my application and moved on to the next step: marking out the current locations of the Minerva Fellows.  These locations would then be linked to paragraphs about how the next step of my life, after Union College, would truly change me forever.  As I approached Cambodia I could only think about one thing: "Holy crap this place is far away..." 

My Minerva Fellowship Application Completed

Present Day: Suddenly, that foreign country of Cambodia is no longer so far away.  In a few short days I will be boarding an airplane to begin the next chapter of my life.  For the next 9 months I will be living in Siem Reap, Cambodia as a part of Union College's Minerva Fellowship (see side page for more information). My primary responsibility while abroad will be to work with The Global Child (TGC), a school that gives street children the opportunity to have an education and thus excel in life. (For more information about TGC please visit: http://www.theglobalchild.org/ )

Over the last few months, I have done my very best to prepare for this journey.  My preparation truly began with the return of last years Minerva Fellows (Carolyn Cannetti and Eliza Duquette).  These two incredible individuals have attempted to show me the way; providing me with tips, insight and the necessary knowledge I will need to succeed while in Siem Reap.  I must pause briefly to thank both Carolyn and Eliza for all they have done for TGC and for me.  The guidance both of you have given has been beyond valuable and I know that my transition to Cambodia will be easier because of you two.  Thank you.

More recently, I have been attempting to immerse myself in history and guide books with the hope that I will be able to develop a better idea of what life in Cambodia will be like.  These books have provided  worthwhile information that I hope will come in handy while abroad.  Moreover, I have procured the necessary shots, medications and items I will need while abroad.  My bags are mostly packed and my necessary travel documents are printed and ready to go.  I have done my very best to prepare over the last few months. Throughout this preparation process I have learned many different things.  However, the most important thing I have learned from the books, the packing, and the interactions with returning fellows is that you can not prepare for everything.  There will be speed bumps and even some roadblocks.  It is all about how you tackle these challenges.  

Emotionally, my feelings are all over the place.  It's hard to explain the feeling a person gets when they are about to move across the world.  It is a mixture between being sad, excited, nervous, anxious and happy.  If you know how that feels, then you'll understand what I am going through.  If you have never felt this way before just know that it is an extremely strange and confusing feeling.  Of course, I am going to miss my friends and family.  The people close to me have been an incredible support system for me prior to my departure and I thank each of you (you know who you are) for always encouraging me to succeed.

The journey ahead will undoubtedly be life changing.  I am extremely excited to see what the next nine months will bring and I hope that all of you join me on this adventure!

I leave you with the mantra of the Minerva Fellowship, and hope that it provides some understanding of what I am about to do:



Go to the people
Live with them
Learn from them
Love them.
Start with what they know
Build with what they have,
but with the best leaders
when the work is done
the task accomplished 
the people will say
"We have done this ourselves."
~Lau Tzu






No comments:

Post a Comment